- 1 How do you get around North Stradbroke Island?
- 2 Which is better North or South Stradbroke Island?
- 3 Are there sharks at Stradbroke Island?
- 4 Can you stay on Stradbroke Island?
- 5 How much does the Stradbroke Ferry cost?
- 6 Do you need a car on North Stradbroke Island?
- 7 Can you live on North Stradbroke Island?
- 8 Is it safe to swim at Stradbroke Island?
- 9 What is Stradbroke Island known for?
- 10 Can you snorkel at Stradbroke Island?
- 11 Where is North Stradbroke Island?
- 12 Can you swim in Blue Lake Stradbroke Island?
- 13 How do you get from North Stradbroke to Gold Coast?
- 14 Can you take dogs to North Stradbroke Island?
- 15 How do you get from North Stradbroke Island to Brisbane?
How do you get around North Stradbroke Island?
How to get to and around North Stradbroke Island
- Drive: Toondah Harbour is 30km or a 40 minute drive from the CBD.
- Water Taxi: Two companies operate water taxi’s from Toondah Harbour to North Stradbroke Island and the journey will take around 25 minutes.
- Car Ferry (Barge):
- Private Shuttle.
Which is better North or South Stradbroke Island?
If you are interested in activities left and right, jamming your days with endless activities and atttractions, the North Island may be more for you. However, if crowds and busy days aren’t your cup of tea, the South island’s quiet serenity is your best bet!
Are there sharks at Stradbroke Island?
The Amity Island in Jaws was a fictional place, but the real Amity Point on Stradbroke Island has, unfortunately, been the site of some horrific recent shark attacks. But as much press coverage as those attacks generate, they’re rare, and common sense offers excellent protection.
Can you stay on Stradbroke Island?
If you‘re looking for budget Straddie accommodation, you‘re in luck! There are North Stradbroke Island accommodation options to suit every budget. Camping is always a popular option for those trying to keep their costs down, and there are several campgrounds across the island, including right on the beach.
How much does the Stradbroke Ferry cost?
|Single Trip||Multi-Ticket (10 returns)|
|Child (5 – 14 years)||$6.00||$75.00|
Do you need a car on North Stradbroke Island?
While you can’t drive to Stradbroke Island, you can access the island by car via a vehicle taxi. Once on the island, you only need a 2WD car to access the three main townships – Dunwich, Amity, and Point Lookout – which are connected by sealed roads. A 4WD is only required for travelling over the beaches.
Can you live on North Stradbroke Island?
North Stradbroke Island has three main villages, each located around 20km apart, and each with unique features worth exploring. Dunwich is the main gateway to the island, and where most of the locals live.
Is it safe to swim at Stradbroke Island?
Swimming. The beaches on North Stradbroke Island are crystal clear and the island is blessed with wonderful weather all year round meaning no matter when you visit you can still swim! Just make sure you choose patrolled beaches when swimming in the sea.
What is Stradbroke Island known for?
Straddie (to the locals) is known for some of the most spectacular scenery found anywhere in Australia. An ideal holiday destination for families, groups of friends and day trippers, the island is famous for its scenic headlands, freshwater lakes, rolling surf and endless white sandy beaches.
Can you snorkel at Stradbroke Island?
North Stradbroke Island boasts some fantastic snorkelling sites a short ride from Point Lookout. With no experience required, Manta Lodge & Scuba Centre’s snorkelling trips can get you up close and personal with some of the amazing marine life that call the island home.
Where is North Stradbroke Island?
North Stradbroke Island (Jandai: Minjerribah), colloquially Straddie or North Straddie, is an island that lies within Moreton Bay in the Australian state of Queensland, 30 kilometres (19 mi) southeast of the centre of Brisbane.
Can you swim in Blue Lake Stradbroke Island?
Make sure to carry drinking water. The lake is a place of significant cultural value to the Quandamooka people and they request that visitors respect that significance by not swimming in the lake.
How do you get from North Stradbroke to Gold Coast?
There are 4 ways to get from Gold Coast to North Stradbroke Island by bus, train, car ferry or car
- Take the bus from Surfers Paradise Coach Transit Centre, Beach Rd to Brisbane 175.
- Take the train from Roma Street station, platform 5 to Cleveland station, platform 2.
- Take the car ferry from Cleveland to Dunwich.
Can you take dogs to North Stradbroke Island?
Yes, dogs are allowed on Stradbroke Island. Your furry friend can travel with you on both the water taxi and vehicle ferry. You‘ll also find several dog-friendly accommodation options at Point Lookout and Amity Point, as well as foreshore camping sites on Main and Flinders Beach that permit pets.
How do you get from North Stradbroke Island to Brisbane?
You can drive, hire a car, or catch a taxi from Brisbane to Toondah Harbour, Cleveland, where ferries depart to Stradbroke Island. You can take your vehicle on the ferry or leave it on the mainland. You can also take a shuttle from the Brisbane Airport directly to the ferry terminal.